Beets with Avocado and Orange
Beets are a good source of fibre. They get their red hue from betalains, antioxidants with cancer-fighting properties. Serve this salad with roasted turkey, chicken or fish.
Calories per serving – 169
Carbohydrates – 15g
Fibre – 4g
Protein – 2 g
Fat – 13 g
Red wine vinegar
2 medium to large red beets (1 pound)
1 2- inch piece black licorice
4 tablespoons fruit vinegar (try raspberry)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
¼ cup walnut oil
Salt and pepper
1 orange, divided into segments and cut into bite-size pieces
1 avocado, medium dice
2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Boil a pot of water and add a splash of red-wine vinegar and the beets.
- Boil covered for 20-30 minutes or until you stick then with a fork and it comes out clean.
- Put licorice in the freezer to let it get rock hard.
- When the beets are cooked, peel and chop them (while still warm) into bite-sized pieces.
- Whisk together the fruit vinegar, mustard, wasabi and walnut oil.
- Toss beets in the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the orange, avocado, and basal.
- Remove the frozen licorice from the freezer and shave atop the salad as you would parmesan cheese.
Reference: Runners World, January 2012, pg. 46
Chef- Richard Blais, winner Top Chef: All Stars in 2010.
If you’d like more info please contact Mike.