Summer is time for BBQ’s and picnics. This is a great low fat way of serving a summer time favourite, potato salad. Potatoes are rich in potassium which helps lower blood pressure and a great way to replenish carbohydrates after a good work out. Serve this salad with grilled fish or chicken to get additional protein.
Calories per serving – 235
Carbohydrates – 25 g
Fibre – 3 g
Protein – 3 g
Fat – 14 g
1 pound of Yukon Gold potatoes
1 quart of water
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon French mustard
6 scallions, white part only, trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced.
¼ cup jarred capers, drained (optional)
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, cut into thin strips
Fine sea salt to taste
1. Scrub the potatoes but don’t peel
2. Bring the water to a simmer (preferably in a steamer)
3. Boil the potatoes or place the potatoes on a steaming rack over the simmering water and cook completely.
4. In a large salad bowl, whisk the oil, lemon and mustard.
5. Add the scallions and capers (optional) and toss to blend.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Once the potatoes are cooked, cut them crosswise into thin slices.
8. Add the potatoes directly into the dressing while they are still warm so they will absorb the dressing.
9. Toss to thoroughly coat the potatoes with the dressing.
10. Add the mint and toss again.
11. Serve warm or cold.
Reference: Runners World, July 2012, p.48
If you’d like more info please contact Mike.