Salmon Salad with Fennel, Orange and Mint
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
2 whole star anise (Star shaped seedpods-sold in spice section at speciality food stores and Asian markets)
4 cups cold water
1 1-pound salmon fillets with skin
2 navel oranges
4 cups very thinly sliced fennel
1 cup small fresh mint leaves
2 table spoons olive oil
- Place sugar, vinegar, star anise and 4 cups of cold water in a large deep skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves
- Add salmon fillets, skin side up, to skillet, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes
- Turn salmon over and cover, let stand for 5-6 minutes or until salmon is just opaque in centre.
- Remove salmon from liquid and cool.
- Coarsely flake salmon into medium bowl, removing bones and skin and set aside
- Cut top and bottom ¼ inch off each orange and using small sharp knife cut off peel and white pith.
- Working over large bowl, cut between the oranges membranes, releasing the segments into the bowl.
- Repeat with remaining orange.
- Add salmon, fennel, mint, olive oil and gently toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
If you’d like more info please contact Mike.